Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dave Matthews Not That Into Himself Anymore

As a high school teacher I often succumb to getting on the soap box and giving a lot of advice. Most of the advice revolves around attempts to help my students avoid the mistakes I made as a high school student and help them avoid wasting time and energy on things that don't matter. It seems unavoidable that, as a teenager, one often makes decisions based on how that action will be perceived as opposed to what one really wants to do.

I used to have a phobia of being labeled. I think that is what led me initially in high school to like both the Indigo Girls and Metallica. I liked to tell people this and see the confusion on their faces. These days I switch over from watching an episode of Glee to two guys beating the snot out of each other in a UFC fight.

Now as I embrace things I like, simply because I like them, I realize my lame aspirations of being an enigmatic paradox are giving way to being a boring cliche. This is most evidenced by my love of golf. I used to love the NBA, now I can't stand watching the Celtics, but will sit on the couch for hours trying to determine why David Duval has lost his touch with the mid irons. What could be more stereotypical middle aged than a guy who is in to golf.

But now I don't fight it.

However sometimes one is embracing a stereotype without even knowing it. I used to think that my diminishing enthusiasm for The Dave Matthews Band was a unique and original feeling. Imagine my surprise when I learned that this feeling must be so commonplace and stereotypical of 30 somethings that The Onion mocked this sentiment as only The Onion can do.

Moneyquote:

"I used to be a hardcore Dave Matthews fan," said Matthews on the porch of his Virginia home. "I had all my records and posters. I was so blown away by everything I did—especially my live performances. I remember me and my buddies used to drive for hours just to go to one of our shows."

"Me and my band are still okay, but I feel like I've grown out of us," Matthews said. "Back when I was in the college charts, we were about all I listened to, but I guess I'm at the point in my life where my music just doesn't speak to me."


Dave, that makes two of us. Well actually millions of us.


No comments: